Voice Placement for the DCC Civic Choirs and Detroit Symphony Youth Chorale
2017 – 2018 DCC Auditions
Auditions for our DCC Civic Choirs and Detroit Symphony Youth Chorale will take place on the following days:
- Saturday, June 3, 2017
- Saturday, August 26, 2017
- By appointment by calling the DCC Office
For more information, please contact the Detroit Children's Choir offices at 313-444-7821 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Remember that you must fill the attached registration form in order to receive your audition time.
Thank you for your interest in joining the Detroit Children’s Choir. Voice placements take place annually during the summer at Orchestra Hall. Be sure to sign up for our DCC Newsletter to receive more information on voice placement.
Please note: You must be registered in order to receive your ten-minute time slot. Those signing up for the Detroit Symphony Youth Chorale will have an additional form to fill out by the Detroit Symphony Orchestra. Once you have registered, the DCC will call you to setup your time.
What to prepare (Detroit Symphony Youth Chorale only)
- Prepare an assigned excerpt on your voice part (Soprano, Alto, Tenor, Bass)
- Prepare to sight-read a piece assigned by the Director at the following level:
- No more than three sharps or flats (major and minor)
- Time signatures of 4/4, 3/4, 2/4, and 6/8
- Quarter, half, whole, eighth, and sixteenth notes
- OPTIONAL: Visit musictheory.net and practice the following lessons and games: a.) The Basics, b.) Scales and Key Signatures, c.) Intervals.
What to prepare (Singers in the D, Concert Chorale, and Men's Chorus):
- A song of your choice (Pop, Classical, Folk, Gospel, Broadway, etc.)
- A poem of your choice (Any age appropriate, published poem)
- Age ten or under can choose to tell a joke or story in place of a poem
- OPTIONAL: Visit musictheory.net to prepare for the music theory test
- Once on the website, click “Lessons” on the top directory bar. The following lessons are highly recommended: The Basics, Scales and Key Signatures, and Intervals
What to expect:
On the day of your placement:
- Arrive at least twenty minutes prior to your scheduled time.
- Register at the front desk and wait in the lobby.
During your placement, you will:
- Sing a song of your choice.
- Participate in a vocal exercise.
- Participate in sight-singing exercises provided by the Director.
- Recite your poem.